Genealogy and History
Subscribe in a reader
White House Farm
Dr. John McCormick, a graduate of the University of Medicine in Dublin and Irish emigrant to Virginia, resided in Orange County during 1740 as substantiated by a deed from Just Hite for 395 acres. Jost Hite was a German land developed who had acquired 30,000 acres from John and Isaac Van Metre. Dr. McCormick built a three-story stone farmhouse upon the site in 1742. Later, he took up other land grants adjoining this property. In 1752 the young George Washington completed a survey of his land. That part of Orange County later became Jefferson County, West Virginia. Upon his death in 1768, he owned a large and valuable medical library which was sold to Dr. Cramer. His estate also consisted of horses and other valuable items. The farm was bequeathed to his youngest son, Andrew McCormick. During the Revolutionary War, Andrew and his wife Nancy provided food, lodging, and horses to the troops serving General George Washington.
The 17th Century Flintlock Provided Food for the Table
Virginians thought of themselves and living more splendidly than their families in England. For example, bacon was considered by impartial foreign judges to be equal to the taste of bacon in the most celebrated city in the world for that age, Westphalia. While animals such as cows and sheep were allowed to run loose in the woods until slaughter, the countryside supplied fowls, ducks, turkeys, fish and other natural resources. To keep his family fed, the planter hunted. The flintlock was used to hunt game. One of the wealthiest planters in the colony, Ralph Wormeley, owned 21 guns, five of which were fowling pieces. The gun was a necessary commodity in colonial days, whether it be for food or protection against the marauding Indian tribes which plagued colonists. Sources: Clayton's Virginia, p. 36, Middlesex County, vol. 1698-1713, p. 128.
So Easy to Read/Print/Download old Virginia Wills online
Traced genealogies and family histories of Orange County available to Members !
Despoilers of the The Middle Church
Between 1750 and 1758 Andrew Shepherd made a gift of an altar piece to a church in Orange County located about three miles southeast of the Orange County Court House on the old road leading to Fredericksburg situated on the land of Mrs. James Taylor, Sr. During the conflict with Great Britain, this church was destroyed and the very bricks carried off and the altar pieces donated by Andrew Shepherd torn from the altar and attached as ornamental appendages to some articles of household furniture. The ancient communion plate, a large silver cup and paten with the name of the parish engraved upon it, was rescued and is now in possession of St. Thomas Church at Orange. The despoilers then went to the churchyard and carried away tombstones for other purposes while breaking others in the ground. Vandalizing churchyards was not uncommon during this period because Virginians had "been made" to attend church and pay tithing. Source: Old Churches and Families of Virginia by Meade, Vol. II.
Zachary Taylor Sr. of Lawrence, Virginia
Zachary Taylor, a son of James Taylor who donated the above land to the Middle Church, was born in old Spotsylvania County (now Orange) and was married to Elizabeth Lee, the daughter of Hancock Lee of Westmoreland County. In 1727 the father of Zachry gave him 1000 acres of land "at the Little Mountains and on ye south side Rapidan River in St. George's Parish, Spotsylvania County" This tract was located at the foot of the Great Mountains, beginning at the land of George Penn, adjoining Thomas Hamm and Henry Madison.
Orange County Genealogy, Wills, Estates, Marriages, Maps, Virginia Probate Records
Orange County was created in 1738 from Augusta County, Virginia. It was named in honor of William, the Prince of Orange, who in that year married Anne, Princess Royal of England. Orange County is known as having been the largest Virginia county ever formed. Orange covered a vast territory extending from its present eastern boundary west to the Mississippi River and north to the Great Lakes. The states of Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia were once part of Orange County.
Orange County Wills, Estates, Marriages available to members of Virginia Pioneers
- Marriages 1747-1810 (Watson to Waugh)
- Original Marriage Bonds 1775 to 1786 (no index)
- Original Marriage Bonds 1787 to 1791 (no index)
1736 Beverley Patent (map of names)
Indexes to Probate Records
- Births 1751 to 1766
- Deed Books 1, 2 (1735-8), 2 misc. pages
- Deed Book 3, (3 misc. pages)
- Deed Book 20, 1 misc. page
Digital Images of Wills 1735 to 1744
- Index to Wills and Inventories 1735 to 1744
- Index to Wills and Inventories 1744 to 1778
Names of Testators: Calvert, John | Curtiss, Mary | Griffin, John | Hanslee, Samuel | Jennings, John | Kanady, John | Lightfoot, John | Mallory, Roger | Naylor, Ann | Nicholas, John | Perkins, Elisha | Rhodes, William | Rucker, John | Rucker, Peter | Smith, Augustus | Smith, Elizabeth | Smith, William | Spotswood, Alexander | Stanton, Thomas | Strother, Jeremiah | Watts, Robert
Digital Images of Wills 1744 to 1748
Testators: Banks, Girard | Barnett, John | Beale, Elizabeth | Beale, Richard | Beale, Taverner | Beasley, Bennett | Bell, Roger | Bohannon, Duncan | Boston, John | Bradburn, Sarah | Bradbourne, William | Bramham, John | Brockman, John | Brockman, Samuel | Brown, Daniel | Bryson, John | Burk, Philip | Bush, John | Campbell, Thomas | Campbell, William | Carpenter, William W. C. | Catlett, John | Cave, Benjamin | Cave, David | Cavenaugh, Philemon | Chiles, Anna | Chiles, Malachi | Coleman, James | Collins, John | Cox, William | Coyne, Edward | Coyne, Elizabeth | Crosthwart, Timothy | Davis, Berreman | Dawson, Robert | Deering, Richard | Duglass, Robert | Earley, John | Easlin, Philip | Embry, William | Eve, Joseph | Faulker, William | Finleson, John | Fleet, Weedom | Frazier, Alexander | George, Samuel | Goodall, Charles | Gore, John | Green, Robert | Hansford, Charles | Harper, Samuel | Harris, Esther | Hawkins, Moses | Hawkins, William | Hughes, Thomas Sr. | Jackson, Thomas | James, Samuel | Johnson, William | Jones, John | Ker, Jacob | Kindel, William | Lathom, John | Lindon, Benjamin | Lucas, John | Lucas, William | Mallory, John | Managham, Daniel | Martain, Henry | McHenry, John | Merry, Thomas | Monroe, William | Moore, Bernard | Morton, William | Pettey, John | Plunkett, John | Pollard, William | Porter, Benjamin | Powell, James | Powell, Simon | Pratt, William | Price, Ayalon | Rhodes, Hezekiah | Riddel, William | Roach, James | Rolen, Edward | Shillern, William | Sisson, Bryan | Smith, Ambrose | Smith, Edward | Sneidor, Henry | Spicer, Ranaser | Stephens, William | Strothers, Sarah | Taylor, Hancock | Taylor, Martha | Thomas, Joseph | Turbervile, Sarah | Walker, Thomas | Walls, Esther | Webb, Milley | Willheit, Michael | Williams, Francis | Wisdom, John | Woolfolk, Joseph | Zimmerman, Christopher
Add to Flipboard Magazine.