Jeannette Holland Austin Profile
What was "Damnified!" in the Old Days?
The term "damnified" or "damnification" referenced vessels where merchandise had spoiled or wrecked and it became necessary to pay someone for their losses. As agents across the seas shipped perishable goods into Virginia, there was always a risk of bad weather. Typically, hurricanes were responsible for the loss of vessels and cargo, but pirates combing the West Indies and Atlantic Ocean also played a major role in spoilt cargoes. Treasure hunters have discovered that there are literally thousands of ship wrecks along the Atlantic coast. The following is from the Records of General Court, p. 146: "Judgment is granted Colonel Daniel Parke Esq. against Mr. Thomas Warren, commander of the ship Daniel in Virginia for payment of 29pds, 13sh, 2d, being for money due for goods of the said Parke damnified in the said ship in her late voyage from London, the money to be paid within 40 days upon her next arrival to England." Five other persons also suffered losses during the same voyage. Source: British State Papers, Colonial, vol. IX, No. 64. This site has attempted to publish the activities of immigrants and agents crossing into the Colony of Virginia. This information is available to members and is labeled under the designation Origins.
The Rush to Build Towns in Colonial Virginia
In 1662, the following new towns were approved to be built: Varina in Henrico, Fleur de Hundred in Charles City, Smith's Fort in Surry, Jamestown in James City, Patesville in Isle of Wight, Huff's Point in Nansemond, mouth of Deep Creek in Warwick, the Jervise Plantation in Elizabeth City, the Wise Plantation in Lower Norfolk, the Read Plantation in York, the Brick House in New Kent, Tyndall Point in Gloucester, the Wormsley Plantation in Middlesex, Hubb's Hole in Rappahannock, Pearce Point in Stafford, Calverts Neck in Accomac, the plantation of the Secretary located on Kings Creek in Northampton, Corotoman in Lancaster and Chickacony in Northumberland.
Northumberland County Genealogy, Wills, Estates, Marriages, Indexes to Deeds and Orders
Northumberland County was formed about 1645, although not authorized until 1648, rom the district of Chickacoan, the early-seventeenth-century name for the region between the Potomac and the Rappahannock rivers. Its area is 223 square miles, and the county seat is Heathsville. The population is 12,259 according to the 2000 census. Courthouse Suffered some loss in a fire in the clerk's office on 25 October 1710. Birth and Death Records from 1650-1810 are located in the St. Stephens Parish. There being no court house in Northumberland in 1658, the judges met in a house probably used as a public tavern. But it was not until five years later that the court-house construction was begun. Before that, the justices held their sessions at the residences of Colonels Richard Lee and Peter Ashton. The building was situated at Fairfield and was made of wood. Therefore, in 1680, it was necessary to build another one. Source: Northumberland County Records, vol. 1652-66, p. 188; Orders Nov. 22, 1658; March 11, 1680. Virginia Historical Tidbits. Join our free blog
Northumberland Wills, Estates, Marriages available to members of Virginia Pioneers
School Commission Reports
- to 1699
- 1735 to 1795
- Bonds 1788 to 1817
- 1823 to 1833
- 1833 to 1837
Index to Deeds and Orders
- 1839 to 1892
Transcriptions of Wills
- Page 10; 40 to 80
- John Mattson deed
- Harris, John
- Haynie, Anthony
- Jones, Robert
Follow the Special Collections of Virginia Pioneers