Arlington County Genealogy, Wills and EstatesArlington County was originally part of Fairfax County . One of the original land grants was awarded to Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron . The name of Arlington comes from Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington whose name had been applied to a plantation along the Potomac River which was acquired (in 1802) by George Washington Parke Custis, grandson of First Lady Martha Washington. The estate was eventually passed down to Mary Anna Custis Lee, wife of General Robert E. Lee became Arlington National Cemetery during the War Between the States when the U. S. Government confiscated the property of Robert E. Lee. The Commonwealth of Virginia passed the land to the United States Government with the Residence Act of 1790, approving a new capital city to be located on the Potomac River. The site was selected by President George Washington.
Arlington County Probate Records available to members of Virginia Pioneers
Indexes to Wills and Estates
Wills 1800 to 1954 : A-E | F-L | Lee-Rankin | Ross-Z
- Will Book 9, 1868 to 1878
Images of Wills and Estates, Book 9, 1858 to 1878
Bacon, Ebenezer | Baggott, John | Ball, Horatio | Bartlett, John | Birch, William | Blow, William D. | Boothe, William J. | Boston, Richard C. | Bowden, Alexander | Brooks, John | Buckingham, William
Carlin, Moseley | Callendar, Margaret | Cartwright, Rachael | Cavenove, Louis | Chapman, George | Close, James T. | Close, S. J. | Constable, Mary | Cook, Henry | Corkett, Virgil | Crocker, F. P. | Crocker, S. W. | Cross, R. Y. | Cross, Sarah W.
Daingerfield, Reverly Johnson | Daingerfield, Henry | Dorsey, H. Carter
Fawcett, Joseph | Febrey, Nicholas | Fineacy, James | Flann, orphans | Fowle, Eliza F. | Fowle, William H.
Gardner, Eliza | Green, Mary | Gregory, Charles | Griffith, Sally W. | Grigg, Joseph | Grimes, Frank E. | Grimes, Thomas E.
Hagan, John C. | Hamilton, Nannie | Harrison, Robert | Hart, Frederick William | Haus, J. M. | Herbert, Betsy | Herbert, Betsy and Kitty | Hilton, James | Hooe, Daniel F. | Hunter, Alexander
Jamieson, Maria | Janney, Phineas | Johnson, Charles F. M. | Johnson, John T.
Lackey, Lula | Leadbeater, Mary | Lewis, John A. | Lloyd, Frederick | Lloyd, John J. | Lloyd, Richard
Manderville, Mary | Massie, Mary | McEwen, Thomas | Millburn, Benedict | Milburn, orphans | Millburn, orphans | Mills, William | Moore, Julius
Pearce, Allan | Peverill, George | Phillips, James B. | Presstman, Stephen Wilson
Quisenberry, Edith | Quisenbury, William
Ramsay, Eliza | Reid, James H. | Richards, William B. | Rigg, Townly | Roberts, Edward | Rotchford, Philip | Russell, Moses
Sackey, Seila | Samour, John W. | Smith, Alfred A. | Smith, Hugh C. | Smith, Robert | Smoot, Charles C. | Smoot, George H. | Southern, Richard | Stone, Charles S. | Swann, Mary M.
Westman, Frank F. | Wheat, Robert W. | Whiting, Louisa | Whittesay, S. | Wibirt, Isaac | Willis, Michael | Wood, John | Wrenn, Philip
Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Daniel Hooe is Enriched by his Timely Investment in the Orange and Alexandria Roadroad
By Jeannette Holland Austin
(profile) On May 28, 1848, the O & A Railroad was chartered by the Virginia General Assembly to connect from Alexandria to Gordonsville and finally to the Virginia Central Railroad in Orange County. As soon as the stock was issued to charter the company, prominent politicians in the Arlington area invested their money. One, David F. Hooe, purchased Virginia State Stock, $29,,887.29 ($50 per share); 88 shares of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad ($15 per share), and a huge investment in the Stock Corporation of Alexandria, $20,000. The transactions were headed " District of Columbia, Washington County." The inventory of the Hooe estate was filed 1872 in Arlington, Virginia and may be viewed on this website. In 1854, it moved further southward from Charlesville to Lynchburg, with connections to the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad and the South Side Railroad. Finally, it connected with the Manassas Gap Railroad to the Shenandoah Valley, which made this railroad just about perfect to help move troops and supplies during the War Between the States. However, in the beginning it was esigned to cheaply ship produce and goods while transporting passengers from Washington to Lynchburg. During 1861, barricades were erected on Duke Street in Alexandria, Virginia, to protect this railroad from the Confederate cavalry. In 1861 when the Union Army attempted to gain control of Manassas Junction from Confederate General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, this maneuver led to the first Battle of Bull Run.
So Easy to Read/Print/Download old Virginia Wills online